Translate

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Heavens opened up and the angels began to sing....

People often ask me, "why do you do it that way?" or "Wouldn't it be easier if.....?" And my answer is always something like "Because that is the way I learned it first." So let me ask all of you out there, isn't that how it often is where your knitting is concerned? I mean, don't we tackle the challenge of learning a technique and stick with it because we initially put so much effort into learning it in the first place?

Guess what folks! We don't have to. I came across the a new cast on technique at Knitty.com today. And that was when the Heavens opened up and the angels began to sing. I have posted the link to the right in the "knitting techniques" section. I remember learning the Provisional Cast On because I was entranced by the possibility of knitting from both sides of the cast on. Then after attempting to teach this technique to someone who just could not get the hang of it no matter how many times she tried (bless her heart), I took the concept and came up with a modified version, which I later found out already had a name, the Turkish Cast On.
Once you get the hang of a Turkish Cast On, you realize concept is so simple. As was the case with me. I thought I might never use any other type of cast on for my own personal knitting. However I still find it a challenge to teach to people. I think it may be possible that this new technique might be easier for many to understand so I can't wait to start working with it. See if I can hone my teaching skills a bit to help others find that easy cast on that may have thus far eluded them. Click here if you want to check it out! I'd love to hear what you think. Thanks again knitty.com!